Resilience & Braving the Elements
The thermometer read 28 degrees.
Would have been easy to say, “Nope, not running outside today.”
And yet the desire to get outside, move my body and breathe fresh air proved too strong to ignore.
So, I bundled up from head to toe – sock liners, fleece layers, running pants, hat, gloves, neck warmer and face mask – and off I ran.
30 minutes later I returned, heavy breathing, red face, drenched in sweat.
Control What You Can Control
This reminded me that it’s not the elements that hold us back. It’s how we respond to those elements that matters.
In business, those elements might look like:
- Loss of job (yourself or a loved one)
- Filling your programs, learning a new a new skill (Zoom technology comes to mind), running a retreat for the first time or promoting a new book.
- A global pandemic that brings you and your business to your knees
In a year that presented a lot of elements, how did you respond?
You Are Resilient
Last Thursday I hosted the final networking event of 2020. To set the scene, I use breakouts for small group conversation. During the larger group discussion, I asked if any insights came up the that would be useful to share with others.
Deb shared this one:
We are resilient. That’s why we kept showing up!
Resilient is a great word for 2020. If you felt the suck, picked yourself up, made adjustments, got some help in needed areas, and KEPT SHOWING UP for yourself and those you serve – clients, employees, communities – you are resilient.
And that’s how you brave the elements. You adapt to them.
- Dig deep and ask: Do I have the desire? This is the internal motivation needed to a change or learn something new.
- Make sure you have the right support or gear or skills. And if you don’t you find your people so you do.
- Take action and do the work. Sometimes that work is sweaty and makes your heart race. That’s how you know it’s worth it. Nothing worthwhile comes easily.
Brave The Elements in 2021
So, as the sh*t show that is 2020 comes to an end and an unknown 2021 awaits (because we all know that just because 2020 is behind us doesn’t mean things will immediately get better. Just saying.) ask yourself “Will I cave to the elements or brave the elements?”
If you are ready to brave the elements, you’re in the right place.
You bring your desire.
I’ll provide the skills, support and environment you need to do the work.
Big announcements coming in January.
I can’t wait to share them.
Until then, be well and have a healthy holiday season. See you in 2021.
Like what you read?
Become a Shed The Formality insider (it's free!) and get insights & inspiration twice-monthly, delivered straight to your inbox. Don't over think it. Sign up today!
Need a speaker?
Create a meaningful and valuable experience when you hire Stacey to Host, MC or moderate a panel at your upcoming meeting or event.
About the blog
Humor, stories, and insights, delivered 2x per month, to perform without the pressure.
Topics include mental health, work, human connection, creativity and more.